Thursday 2 April 2009

My family are sponsoring 3 children and soon will be adding another 1 or 2.

This is arranged by Sarjor(a Gambian who works for the charity and as a guide at the Atlantic hotel) on a day that is convenient for both of us. The charity Landrover comes to pick us up from whichever hotel we are staying at.
First stop is always to get petrol,which I pay for.
I have usually visited the children at home.They are ready and waiting and other families in the compound take a great interest in these new visitors.I bring clothes books and a few toys.To be honest these families have nothing and are grateful for whatever we bring.
I also bring small"party bag" toys for other children in the compound(balloons, McDonalds toys,blow bubbles etc).
I have once collected a child from school where they were performing a nativity play,that was interesting to watch!
The children were understandably shy at first but become more confident with subsequent visits.I am also getting more idea about individual needs.
I shall be seeing them again in June.

My advice to anyone hesitating is to go and visit.It's worthwhile and rewarding.
It's also an eyeopener and makes you realise just how much we take for granted in the West.


Claire H.

No comments: